This is an integrated training and assessment course.
You’ll learn to use the trimmer safely and with confidence by our experienced trainer assessor.
Understanding all the relevant regulation and safety requirements is key. You’ll be taught the need for the correct protective clothing and how best to maintain a safe working environment.
Who is it for?
This course will be suitable for you if you work in, or are looking to work in any of the following industries:
- Woodland industries
- Local Authorities
- Land-based industries
- Prepare for Trimmer and Brushcutter operations
- Maintaining the Trimmer/Brushcutter
- Engine maintenance
- Operating the Trimmer/Brushcutter
Equipment required as per pre-course hand-out:
- Operator’s maintenance kit and equipment
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
By the end of this course, you’ll be able to:
- Produce a site-specific Risk Assessment for trimmer and brushcutter operations
- Identify the necessary personal protective equipment required
- Identify the health and safety features required on a trimmer and brushcutter
- Detect defects on the equipment and decide which the operator can remedy and which require a service engineer’s attention
- Carry out correctly all routine maintenance in accordance with the machine manufacturer’s instruction book
- Prepare the equipment for use with the correct fuel/oil mix
- Start the trimmer/brush cutter from both hot and cold start in a safe manner
- Carry out pre-cutting checks
- State the possible hazards/risks when carrying out maintenance or operational tasks
- Maintain the trimmer/brushcutter and cutting heads in a safe and efficient working condition
- Adjust the equipment for safe and comfortable operation
- Select the correct cutting head for the relevant operating conditions
- Operate the equipment having regard for the safety of the public, property and environmental factors
- Organise the site and use a systematic method of working where possible.
A certificate of competence will be awarded once you complete the course.
Depending on previous experience some candidates may require longer than the stated guide times to fully understand the information and training provided.