This is an integrated training and assessment course.
On this specialist one-day course you will learn to use this powerful machine safely and expertly.
Stump grinders remove tree stumps by literally chipping away at them – usually with a cutting wheel. As a result, they can be dangerous tools if used incorrectly or without adequate training. Our course will teach you the appropriate techniques and safety guidelines.
This is a hands-on course that delivers both practical skills and health and safety guidance as well as demonstrating that you and your employer have completed sufficient training to meet the Provision and Use of Work
Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER).
Understanding all the relevant regulation and safety requirements is key. You’ll be taught the need for the correct protective clothing and how best to maintain a safe working environment.
You’ll also be given practical experience working with the machine to learn and hone techniques.
Who is it for?
This course will be suitable for you if you work in, or are looking to work in any of the following industries:
- Woodland industries
- Local Authorities
- Land-based industries
- Risk assessment and emergency procedures
- Health and safety guidelines and legislation
- Personal protective equipment
- Pre-use checks and machine safety features
- Routine checks and maintenance
- Cutter maintenance
- Start the machine and carry out safety checks
- Preparation of site, machine and materials
- Operation of stump grinder
- Unblocking stump grinder
- Re-instatement of excavation and disposal of arisings
- Clearing, transport, and storage.
Equipment required as per pre-course hand-out:
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Stumpgrinder (optional)
- Operators maintenance kit and equipment (optional)
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- Produce a site-specific risk assessment for stump grinding operations
- State the principles of health and safety legislation and guidelines for using a stumpgrinder
- Select the appropriate personal protective equipment and state the maintenance requirements
- Carry out operator checks and identify the safety features of a stumpgrinder
- Carry out routine operator maintenance
- Inspect and identify defects on the grinding mechanism
- Prepare the machine prior to operation, start the machine, carry out safety checks and stop the machine
- Prepare a work area and a range of stumps for grinding and identify hazardous materials not to be ground
- Use approved techniques for safe and efficient stump grinding of a range of stump sizes
- State the procedure for removing blockages
- Re-instate ground and deal with arisings
- Prepare machine for transport and storage.
The finer details
- We’ll use a balanced mix of theory and practical sessions to guide you through the process.
- You’ll learn all the key health and safety issues.
- Routine maintenance tuition will follow.
- Practical work will include chipping and removing blockages.
A Lantra Certificate of Competence will be awarded on successful completion of the course.
If you’re an inexperienced operator our course might take you longer than the standard one day.
Course members must be physically fit and able to carry out the tasks required for the course.