This is an integrated training and assessment course, ideal if you work in landscaping, horticulture, grounds maintenance, arboriculture or agriculture. Our experienced instructor will guide you through how to use the tool expertly. You’ll also learn pre-cutting tests, machine specific maintenance, and health and safety guidelines.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- produce a site-specific risk assessment for trimmer operations
- identify the Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) required
- identify the health and safety features required on a trimmer
- identify defects on a trimmer and cutting equipment and decide which the operator can remedy and which require a service engineer’s attention
- correctly carry out all routine maintenance in accordance with the machine manufacturer’s information book and/or this workbook
- prepare the trimmer for use with the correct fuel/oil mix
- start the trimmer from both hot and cold start in a safe manner
- carry out pre-cutting checks
- state the possible hazards/risks when carrying out maintenance or operational tasks
- maintain the trimmer and cutting heads in a safe and efficient working condition
- adjust the trimmer for safe and comfortable operation
- select the correct cutting head for the relevant operating conditions
- operate the trimmer in a safe manner, having regard for the safety of the public, property and environmental factors
- organise the site and use a systematic method of working where possible.
Once you’ve successfully completed our course, you’ll receive a certificate of competence.
- Prepare for trimmer operations
- Trimmer maintenance
- Operating the trimmer
- Clearing the site and machine checks.
Equipment required as per pre-course hand-out:
- Operator’s maintenance kit and equipment
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)