This is an integrated training and assessment course.
You’ll learn to use the woodchipper safely and with confidence by our experienced trainer assessor.
Understanding all the relevant regulation and safety requirements is key. You’ll be taught the need for the correct protective clothing and how best to maintain a safe working environment.
Who is it for?
This course will be suitable for you if you work in, or are looking to work in any of the following industries:
- Woodland industries
- Local Authorities
- Land-based industries
- Prepare for Woodchipper operations
- Maintaining the Woodchipper
- Engine maintenance
- Operating the Woodchipper
Equipment required as per pre-course hand-out:
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Woodchipper (optional)
- Operators maintenance kit and equipment (optional)
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- Produce a site-specific risk assessment for wood chipping operations
- State the principles of Health and Safety Executive legislation and safety guidelines for using a woodchipper
- Select the appropriate personal protective equipment and state the maintenance requirements
- Carry out operator checks and identify the safety features of a woodchipper
- Carry out routine operator maintenance
- Inspect and identify defects on the blades
- Prepare machine prior to operation, start the machine, carry out safety checks and stop machine
- Prepare a work area and a range of materials for chipping and identify hazardous materials not to be chipped
- Use approved techniques to chip woody brash and both short and long sections of timber safely and effectively
- State the procedure for removing blockages
- State the safety and environmental factors associated with the disposal of woodchips and the various end uses of woodchips
- Prepare machine for transport and storage.
The finer details
- We’ll use a balanced mix of theory and practical sessions to guide you through the process.
- You’ll learn all the key health and safety issues.
- Routine maintenance tuition will follow.
- Practical work will include chipping and removing blockages.
- Worth noting: Inexperienced operators might need more time to fully master all the elements of our course.
A Lantra Certificate of Competence will be awarded on successful completion of the course.